Aloe 'medusa" seeds

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

bathyuriscus

Aloe 'medusa" seeds

Post by bathyuriscus »

Where can I obtain Aloe tongaensis (medusa) seeds. Searching for a source so far with no luck. I would really like to have this plant.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloe 'medusa" seeds

Post by Spination »

I have 2 of these plants, but the tallest is only 3' tall so far. Hopefully in a few more years, some flowering and I can pollinate them with each other.

Mostly, I wanted to mention the extremely poor luck I've had buying seeds from seed sources, with but 2 exceptions. The first was Aloe ferox seeds bought on Ebay, which turned out to be so successful, I thought it was just that easy. lol The other good experience was Aloe polyphylla seeds purchased from Alan Beverly, who wrote his thesis on the plant.... Several other times I have purchased Aloe seeds with very poor results. Someone from the UK sells various Aloe seeds on Ebay, from whom I purchased 5 species, and zero germination. Now, I only grow my own seeds from my own efforts, with extremely satisfying germination rates, which tells me some of these folks out there are obviously selling krap seeds. I usually sow mine fresh, as quickly as the pods crack open, and no problems. I'm just saying it might be better to get yourself some young plants you can grow, rather than likely waste your time and money on seeds that have a high probability of being no good, based on my experiences with purchased seeds. I think my success with purchased seed is about 2 in 12 now, and I refuse to go that route any more. Anyway, I just checked Arid Lands, and they have 3", 4", 5" potted tongaensis for only $6, $8, $10 respectively. I've used A.L. several times to purchase Aloe, and have never been disappointed with their plants, or their prices. They also have super customer service, fill orders quickly. They're tops in my book. :U
mickthecactus

Re: Aloe 'medusa" seeds

Post by mickthecactus »

The Asclepiad Society often have Aloes with data on their seed lists. I've grown quite a number from them.