Agave megalacantha?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Agave megalacantha?

Post Number:#1  Postby palmofan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:58 pm

I was given this agave by the name "Agave megalacantha", but I see that this is an old term. Do somebody know what is the proper name of this agave?

P1010510.JPG
P1010510.JPG (53.59 KiB) Viewed 611 times

This agave multiplicates itself when it is still very small, this one already has 2 pups.

P1010511.JPG
P1010511.JPG (96.09 KiB) Viewed 611 times
palmofan
Seedling

Re: Agave megalacantha?

Post Number:#2  Postby Gee.S » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Agave megalacantha = A. inaequidens. Couldn't say whether that is what you actually have there...
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby palmofan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I googled Agave inaequidens and my agave doesn't look like this.
palmofan
Seedling

Post Number:#4  Postby Gee.S » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 pm

I agree.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#5  Postby palmofan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

This agave was given to my by croatian botanist from Zagreb, and he insisted in name megalacantha. He told me that this agave is from Utah botanical garden.
palmofan
Seedling

Post Number:#6  Postby KLC » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Looks like the European A. salmiana ferox that's out there but that's probably not right either. If Greg Starr would take a moment and post up, he could give a better description of A. inaequidens as he has seen them in habitat. Another very mysterious and rare agave.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#7  Postby Paul S » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:30 am

Here is Agave inaequidens in the University Botanic gardens in Mexico City. Not saying I trust the labels as most were appalling but I think this is actually correct. it is a fairly common plant once you get to where it occurs naturally, south of the DF towards Cuernavaca in large quantities along the roadsides.
agaveinaequidens.jpg
agaveinaequidens.jpg (125.89 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Are the two plants in the first two pictures the same material? They don't look like it to me.
Paul S
Offset

Post Number:#8  Postby Luc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 am

The subject has been tackled on XW a year ago here ( http://www.xericworld.com/forums/showth ... galacantha same subject here in this french forum : http://fousdepalmiers.fr/html/forum/vie ... 82&t=16666 ) and it seems that this name is used to name the mature plant on the second post of the XW thread and is THE mother plant, where all the plantlets sold with this name come from. For a reason that I don't really understand, all the owners of this plant are very proud and insist to maintain this name, go figure. And for a reason I much less understand, the pic on the original post of Palmofan is another plant yet.
Sometimes you can see some plantlets of few centimeters and 3 little leaves to sell on Ebay at 28 euros (Approximately 35 dollars) !!

The statement of the guy on XW who said that this plant could be an hybrid between couesii and chrysantha is not so stupid, don't you think?
Take a look of the pic posted by Gees here : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2723 .
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#9  Postby Gee.S » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:24 am

Oh, that Agave: Can any one identify this Agave ?

As I understand it, the value of the plant apparently lies in its extreme cold-hardiness.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#10  Postby Luc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 am

Yes, that's the same plant. His cold and humidity hardiness is high which is very important especially in Germany.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#11  Postby AGAVE_KILLER » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:02 am

Discussions elsewhere of this plant have mentioned that the European plants were collected in Yavapai county in the 70s and were rumored to be parryi x chrysantha hybrids. I had assumed that the plant under discussion was this one:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Agave-parr ... -for-sale/

Juvenile plants look similar to those in the PDN photo.

Best,

D.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#12  Postby palmofan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I sent pups of this agave to member of croatian Palmapedia forum in Osijek, Croatia and this pups pups didn't survive relativly mild winter.
palmofan
Seedling

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Agavaceae Talk