Diane's Agave

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Diane's Agave

Post Number:#1  Postby Jkwinston » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Does anyone know anything about this Agave?

IMG_3473v.jpg
Desert Garden Az
IMG_3473v.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 321 times
IMG_3474v.jpg
Desert Garden Az
IMG_3474v.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Diane's Agave

Post Number:#2  Postby Gee.S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I have a single A. 'Dianita' plant that has formed so many axial branches, it looks like a clump of plants. I would have found it some ground by now, but any number of vermin prowling the area might have eaten it, and still been hungry. It is an apparent hybrid of unknown origin, but A. utahensis, A. toumeyana v. bella, and/or A. parviflora seem like possible genetic donors, based upon the plant's diminutive size, extreme sun tolerance, and xeric nature. I believe his Mongerness might be able to provide additional insight.

This formed as a single plant in a 4" container, though I can no longer find the original core amongst all the axial branches. I might be able to pull them apart and pot separately, I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll give that a go in the spring.

dianita 001.JPG
A. 'Dianita'
dianita 001.JPG (76.15 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby Melt in the Sun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Yeah, A. 'Dianita', supposedly a hybrid between A. pygmae and A. arizonica according to the DBG staff via Greg Starr. Mine died at 20 degrees. I wonder why yours is pupping like that? Mine was 6" or so across with no offsets whatsoever.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#4  Postby Gee.S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Despite appearances, those are not offsets (would that they were), but if I am able to separate them in the spring, you're certainly welcome to one. If I can't separate them, I may just throw the whole mess out.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#5  Postby mcvansoest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:44 pm

It looks like the ones in Winston's picture from the DBG are pupping quite profusely. I am attaching two pictures of the same clump from early May 2014. Unfortunately, I did not really get the lighting right - it is pretty hard with the dappled shade from the structure and my rudimentary photography skills - but you can again see they are clumping and throwing out some of the side flower stalks coming out of the ground next to the plants. They are in the big shade structure where they keep a lot of the aloes/gasterias/euphorbias.

DSCF5949.jpg
A. x'Dianita' with flower stalks
DSCF5949.jpg (165.25 KiB) Viewed 299 times

DSCF5950.JPG
A. x'Dianita' closer
DSCF5950.JPG (173.17 KiB) Viewed 299 times

I have a couple of them that the Monger threw in as freebies in one of my orders from him. They had a tough time for a while but both made it and were looking good not so long ago (I have not checked in on them in a while. I was going to put them in the shade of one of my trees in the front yard, but that was when I had three trees, I am down to one and shady spots are at a premium... so I am on to plan B, which is a very long term plan as it entails digging up part of the back yard, building a slightly raised large planter, filling it with soil and plants... not happening any time soon, so life in a pot it is for the moment :)) .
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Location: Mesa, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island

Post Number:#6  Postby Gee.S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:32 pm

^ They'll take full sun -- even when potted.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#7  Postby mcvansoest » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks, I was not sure because of where the DBG has them, those plants get a lot of shade. I will put them in the ground then, it is not as if they get very big....
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Location: Mesa, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island

Post Number:#8  Postby Jkwinston » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:55 am

Thanks guys! I was absolutely curious as to who the parents were. The xarizonica parentage makes sense, as it fits in with the rather diminutive look. But it was its suckering and blooming tendency that first drew my attention.

Hey Thijs! Don't worry I had lots of similar problems taking photos at the DBG. The afternoon sun was quite powerful, leaving everything on the other side in shade. I ended up with lots of doubtful photos, since I did not have the time to adjust the camera settings. Jkw
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#9  Postby KLC » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:12 am

Speaking of arizonica Winston, that is one agave that you said you wanted to take home with you but we forgot to pack one in. No worries, I have a new batch of them in good numbers.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#10  Postby Jkwinston » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:29 pm

KLC wrote:Speaking of arizonica Winston, that is one agave that you said you wanted to take home with you but we forgot to pack one in. No worries, I have a new batch of them in good numbers.

Keith, just keep them safe till the next visit. I would make sure I take a few. Jkw
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#11  Postby Jkwinston » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 am

BTW Ron, when you are ready to pull them apart, please save one of those suckers for me. Jkw
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Agavaceae Talk