What agave is this?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

What agave is this?

Post by Bananaguy »

Have had this for several years was in the ground for awhile. Got it from a lady in Texas. Looks beat up with being in a pot sitting in the yard during hurricane season. Plus needed repotted, just needs trimmed up.
6C4E72EA-D64D-4653-95C0-9EE6B5DB3B0F.jpg
6C4E72EA-D64D-4653-95C0-9EE6B5DB3B0F.jpg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: What agave is this?

Post by Gee.S »

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

My guess would be agave gentryi.
Don't California my Arizona!
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

KLC wrote:My guess would be agave gentryi.
Seconded. :U
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Okay sorry about that. Read article and will make sure any other pics are setup correctly.
Gentryi must be native to Texas then. Thanks for the help!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Appreciate that. I know the sideways pic thread is a lot to take in. Easiest solution for uploading phone pics is to simply shoot pics as landscapes, rather than portraits.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Agave gentryi would not be native to Texas.
Don't California my Arizona!
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Was talking with another member and said I should also say. I got this as a pup back in 2008. Have not had any pups and it has spent two years in the ground. Most of its life has been potted up. Repotting recently I saw two tiny feelers that could be pups, but to small to pull from roots without damage. Lady lived in Texas so no idea if it’s a native or not. Thought she said it was.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

Your agave looks to be what has been called for quite some time - Agave salmiana, such as the ones called 'Bellville' and 'Green Goblet' and 'Logan Calhoun'. Except that they are not in fact Agave salmiana, and in my opinion are the result of ancient and ongoing introgression between Agave asperrima, Agave gentryi, and Agave americana. I refer to these green Agaves of the northern Sierra Madre and coastal Texas as Agave pseudosalmiana to differentiate them by name from the true Agave salmiana that is frost tender and occurs much further south.

Anyhow, there are plenty of clonal types of "Agave pseudosalmiana" in Texas (and south into Mexico) and swarms of hybrid seedlings as documented by Carl Schoenfeld and Wade Roitsch, who selected Agave 'Tres Equis' from one such population.

A long answer to your question.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

I can take a closer pic if that would help.. I’m pretty sure the person said it was from Texas meaning it grows there as they lived their. That’s some history there.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

No need for another photo.
It is an Agave pseudosalmiana with a close affinity to the one called 'Green Goblet' introduced by Wade Roitsch and Carl Schoenfeld of Yucca Do Nursery, originally in Hempstead, Texas, but now, lamentably, closed. They did FANTASTIC work for expanding the horizons of horticulture. I had the pleasure of meeting Wade in 2006 at their nursery, then connected with Peckerwood Gardens. The plantings of Peckerwood Gardens are part of their legacy - as are many plants in other peoples gardens throughout the USA.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Great finally know what it is now. Thank you. Yes heard great things about Yucca Do Nursery.