Bursera fagaroides

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful fat plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each fat plant species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Bursera fagaroides

Post by Jkwinston »

IMG_3964s.jpg
IMG_3964s.jpg (162.43 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
IMG_3966s.jpg
IMG_3966s.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Bursera fagaroides

Post by Jkwinston »

IMG_9650s.jpg
IMG_9650s.jpg (167.28 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
ceebs
Rhizome

Post by ceebs »

Hi all,

There seems to be a lot of information out there about propagating various Bursera species from stem cuttings or (more rarely) seed, but I thought I’d share my surprising experience with growing B. fagaroides from root cuttings (I say “surprising” because usually I am death to cuttings!). After trimming off some tangled roots from one of my small and incredibly pot-bound fagaroides I felt guilty about throwing away such nice chunky roots (which resemble little strings of sausages) so I thought I’d see if it was possible to maybe get another plant out of them. I took the largest swollen root section (about 2” long), let it dry for a few days, then planted it in a shallow pot with some cactus potting mix and watered it sparingly but mostly didn’t expect anything except a pile of mush at the end of it. Much to my great surprise after about 5-6 weeks four little green stems appeared, and are continuing to grow well. Don’t know if I should only retain the largest sprout or keep it multi-stemmed (could be interesting, or just plain ugly), I think I’ll let the plant decide. The cuttings were taken just as the plant was breaking from winter dormancy (maybe that helped) and daytime temps were in the low-mid 20’s C.

Worth a try (for fagaroides and probably other Bursera species too) – don’t bin those roots just yet!
Attachments
B. fagaroides root cutting with soil removed.jpg
B. fagaroides root cutting with soil removed.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
mnxeric
Rhizome

Post by mnxeric »

Thanks so much for sharing the root cutting pics. Great info. Makes me want to try that with my B. hardiana that I'm currently training.
BronxFatty
Seedling

Post by BronxFatty »

Good luck with the root propagation, and thanks for sharing all this useful information. Who would have thought?

I'm growing Bursera fagaroides for the last seven years. It's a great plant.... and the original twiggy trunk, has fattened up over the years, and is now as thick as my arm. The full-sun and broiling heat, on my south-facing, back deck...this plant loves. Occasional watering if the rains stop, and slow-release fert's. do the trick. Can't say if I have ever seen any pests on my Bursera, either. Easy plant. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Now..... I have one more trick in my arsenal, thanks to this thread.

Quite literally...."rooted cuttings".