FYI New Book Out

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

WhalesToungueAgave
Offset

FYI New Book Out

Post by WhalesToungueAgave »

A new book is out just put in print 2016 called AGAVES
YUCCAS
And Their KIn
seven genera of the southwest
by author Jon L Hawker

I had pre-ordered this book from Amazon and it final got published and put into print. All color photos and has graph maps of USA showing general location of plants talked about. Its 430 pages and paperback loaded with lots of photos D)) and info just a glance through looks good especially for those in southwest interested in a book like this. LOL :lol: I'm in southeast !
Attachments
100_2903 (1077 x 607).jpg
100_2903 (1077 x 607).jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 11041 times
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Re: FYI New Book Out

Post by DesertDweller »

I was actually really anxious to get a hold of a copy and check it out, but no dice. Amazon said it would be released in mid-March, but up until about a week ago it was telling me to pre-order because it wasn't available yet. Then it switched to "available" but also out of stock. :huh:

So we went from being released, but not really, to being available, but ... not really. :?

Have never had that happen before when waiting for a new book to come out, but maybe I've just been fortunate. Hopefully this is not the norm. It really does look good, so I hope to have it in my hands one of these days. ;)
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

I wrote a brief review for that book and am still waiting for my copy. Maybe I should stop holding my breath!
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

And, pray tell, what did you think? Is this a book about cultivating plants in the southwest or a book about the plants themselves?
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

This book seems to be available here : http://exoticplantbooks.com/detail/?product_id=1070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Although Amazon itself is temporarily out of stock, it pays to click the tiny links for "X used...X new...from $$" in which you still buy through Amazon but actually provided and shipped by other sellers using Amazon to sell their books. I just ordered one of those, which was described as "like new, unread condition". There are still a few others available.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Paul S wrote:And, pray tell, what did you think? Is this a book about cultivating plants in the southwest or a book about the plants themselves?
The description reads like it is about the plants themselves... but it will be a few days before I can confirm that...
It is what it is!
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

The book is about the plants in habitat with no horticultural information. At least the e-copy I was sent was that way.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Well, here's a new-to-me copy of an older book. Shout out to greenghost!

Handwritten on the back of Gentry's business card is:
Agave Toumeyana Trelease
var. bella Breitung
book 002.JPG
book 002.JPG (87.73 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

Thanks Ron. You can get Hawker's book on ABE Books here: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... 2520hawker"
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Wow a hardback edition. Those are mucho dinero when you find them. A signed copy...even better.
Don't California my Arizona!
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Gee.S wrote:Well, here's a new-to-me copy of an older book. Shout out to greenghost!

Handwritten on the back of Gentry's business card is:

[center]
Agave Toumeyana Trelease
var. bella Breitung
[/center]
book 002.JPG
Looks just like the signature on my first hardbound copy of the same book!
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

agavegreg wrote:The book is about the plants in habitat with no horticultural information. At least the e-copy I was sent was that way.
I can confirm this. The pieces I have read (randomly throughout the book) are well written and informative and not trying to sell the book as the definitive work on these plants just a compilation and good description of them at the time of writing, a good addition to the collection. Greg, not sure if you knew, but there is a blurb by you about the book on the back cover. There are multiple photos of almost all plants, inflorescences, and flowers, and little distribution maps - that I am sure for some of the plants could be updated by some of the people on this forum, but still useful enough I think.
It is what it is!
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

mcvansoest wrote: I can confirm this. The pieces I have read (randomly throughout the book) are well written and informative and not trying to sell the book as the definitive work on these plants just a compilation and good description of them at the time of writing, a good addition to the collection. Greg, not sure if you knew, but there is a blurb by you about the book on the back cover. There are multiple photos of almost all plants, inflorescences, and flowers, and little distribution maps - that I am sure for some of the plants could be updated by some of the people on this forum, but still useful enough I think.
I presumed I would get a copy for taking the time to read the manuscript and write the blurb.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

agavegreg wrote: I presumed I would get a copy for taking the time to read the manuscript and write the blurb.
If you didn't I find that quite incredible. When reviewing a book here you'd expect to get a copy to review and usually a small payment as well.

Sounds like this is one to get, anyway!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I've gone over the Agave section once or twice. Overall, the format is excellent, informative and easy to follow -- with one exception. I find the author's preference for citing unfamiliar common names over more familiar taxa a bit confounding, and an unnecessary layer of interpretation. But I know I am not his target audience, perhaps that audience is more comfortable with less precise jargon. I am also keenly aware that a substantial portion of his text regarding AZ Agaves represents the hypothetical musings of Wendy, which regulars on this forum may find familiar.

All in all though, a terrific presentation with ample photographs, range maps, and comparative information. I have little doubt I'll come to rely on and appreciate the non-Agave sections in particular, as these plants don't tend to get the same attention as Agaves in our available library selections. A must have for anyone interested in Agaves and their kin.

Now if only someone would write a similar volume for Baja....
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Gee.S wrote:
Now if only someone would write a similar volume for Baja....
Speaking of which...
This looks to be a very interesting and highly specialized focus (from a geographical persepective) on the plant life of the islands in between Baja and Sonora... University of Arizona Press
http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/Books/bid2333.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Gee.S wrote: Now if only someone would write a similar volume for Baja....
I just finished the Hesperaloe and Dasylirion of Baja California.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Got this, which you'll all recognize, a few weeks ago. It's terrific; I read it through & made notes.
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (82.15 KiB) Viewed 10800 times
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

For anyone waiting on the re-stock, Amazon is showing slightly less than 20 copies in stock now. Finally!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I've had this book for some time now, and find that I almost never use it. The reason? The author's peculiar preference for citing colloquial common names over far more relevant and recognizable taxa renders much of the text within nearly indecipherable. In essence, the book is presented as prose best suited for reading cover to cover, and that's fine, but the way most use these types of books is as a reference. So I look something up by the only name I know, and have to backtrack page after page to learn that "beaked Yucca" = "Y. rostrata". It's unnecessary and frustrating.

I will also add that the author is simply out of his depth while discussing Agaves. IMHO, Mr. Hawker is far more knowledgeable regarding Yucca, Nolina, and Dasylirion, and relied on the experience and knowledge of others rather than his own to fill in the Agave section. Nearly every little tidbit he provides is directly from the mouth of Wendy Hodgson. I know this because I know Wendy, and have had the same conversations with her. While Wendy is certainly experienced and extremely knowledgeable, some of this stuff is speculative and opinion. I would have been far more interested in gaining a fresh perspective.

OTOH, the book certainly does have value. The author's excellent treatments of Yucca, Nolina, and Dasylirion in particular, are valuable additions to an informational wasteland. So I have to work a little harder to translate the odd names he uses, but at least have access to quite a lot of new and valuable information from a knowledgeable source.
Agave