Primer on some big Firesticks.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Primer on some big Firesticks.

Post by Stan »

A plant in the bay area that is a very hard find outdoors. Except my house where I have three going. My tallest is about 8',and I grew that from a cutting broken off my first plant that has never gone over 5' and maybe is at 4' and shrubby. The taller is more tower like- but its orange,not green like the species. I can't explain how a cutting could be so different from the mother. In fact,I will go ahead and call it the tallest firesticks in the whole bay area.
In this vid? It's still a piker as plants in San Diego are said to reach 40'. I'm not sure if that's for Firesticks or the species but I imagine Firesticks in the southland get to over 20' in time often enough. Impressive I would say.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Primer on some big Firesticks.

Post by mcvansoest »

I grew both the green and firesticks varieties at my old place. The regular variety was definitely outpacing firesticks for height, but firesticks was a way bigger plant, because was going way bushier with lots of basal branches and lots more branches period. Did not take either with me, but have a firesticks at my new places that is going around 8' feet, but is now starting to do the bushy thing... It takes pretty much full sun with only a little summer water - it probably gets some run off from some plants that I water nearby but I rarely specifically turn the hose on it.
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

A gopher has dug holes near my original Firesticks. SO much for "Euphorbia roots are toxic to gophers". I hope its munching on Magnolia roots..plenty, to too many of those.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mcv,I ran across another vid of Firesticks in San Diego area and it was the largest maybe yet I've seen. It reminded me of what you said about your old one? That it became massive with a triangular shape?..thats how this one was..solid red branches as it widened.
Mine shot up this year despite the cool- and has developed a lean at the top heavy part despite nothing shading it. If it leans more,I might tie it up somehow. I don't want it to snap. The lower part of it is sparse in branches.
These things really grow in various shapes depending on where the grower took the cuttings.