Both Labeled N lindheimeriana at the Nursery.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Both Labeled N lindheimeriana at the Nursery.

Post by Fairview »

Are these both N lindheimeriana? The growth habit is quite a bit different. Both were labeled lindheimeriana at the nursery but that's only as good as the the grower that shoved the id stick in the pot.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231126_154646_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231126_154646_Gallery.jpg (373.64 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Screenshot_20231126_154630_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231126_154630_Gallery.jpg (381.35 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Both Labeled N lindheimeriana at the Nursery.

Post by Paul S »

I think they could both be the same. One of the plants has offset - maybe it flowered, maybe it just offset anyway - and is making grassier leaves but the older leaves look much the same as those on the solitary plant. At least, as far as it is possible to see from the picture.
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

Paul S wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:02 am I think they could both be the same. One of the plants has offset - maybe it flowered, maybe it just offset anyway - and is making grassier leaves but the older leaves look much the same as those on the solitary plant. At least, as far as it is possible to see from the picture.
What is the normal growth habit? Is the grassier leaves now the permanent growth habit or does it eventually return to the growth habit of the solitary plant? Never seen pics of lindheimeriana with grass like leaves in all my research.

I really like the Nolinas and also the Dasylirions. The ones I have are rated as hardy for a harsher zone than I'm in, won't die during the annual Texas summer drought and stays evergreen.

Thanks
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I think they will get a bit wider again but not as stiff. Of course it might be something different - nolina all look so similar until they flower!
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

After reading your post went out and looked at the base. I was under the impression lindheimeriana did not make offsets. Don't know where I got that idea but obviously it's not correct. The entire base all the way around is literally choked with offsets - the source of the grass like growth.

Thanks.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Yes, those look accurate compared to mine and native plants.
Austin, Texas