Habitat: Desert Palms

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Habitat: Desert Palms

Post by Gee.S »

mcvansoest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm Those palms would be absolutely prime scorpion habitat... not a great place to rest your head for an afternoon or evening nap shade or not.
Oh, I'd bet there are all manner of scorpions and snakes in there, as well as lizards and a diverse insect pop. Trees are enormous, as are the skirts. Each tree must be a little world of its own. You couldn't pay me to go up in there, were that even possible.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Habitat: Desert Palms

Post by Meangreen94z »

mcvansoest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm Those palms would be absolutely prime scorpion habitat... not a great place to rest your head for an afternoon or evening nap shade or not.
I wouldn’t lean against them, but from experience a grove of palms can trap cooler air and channel flow creating a breeze. Atleast a grove with varying heights like the Sabal mexicana in South Texas.
Austin, Texas