Agave horrida ssp. horrida

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Agave horrida ssp. horrida

Post by Gee.S »

Agave horrida ssp. horrida Lemaire ex Jacobi (1864)
Marginatae
A. horrida ssp. horrida
A. horrida ssp. horrida
horrida5.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Agave horrida ssp. horrida

Post by Gee.S »

RS 001.JPG
RS 001.JPG (98.73 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

beauties!
Jankol
Offset

Post by Jankol »

From the Hanbury Gardens, La Mortola, Italy.
Attachments
agave horrida
agave horrida
horrida.JPG (126.29 KiB) Viewed 7140 times
Jankol
Offset

Post by Jankol »

From the Jardin Exotique, Monaco.
Attachments
agave horrida
agave horrida
horrida.JPG (136.95 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

Here are my two specimens of Agave horrida. Neither has produced an offset yet.
Attachments
Agave horrida- back yard (2).jpg
Agave horrida- back yard (2).jpg (202.02 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
Agave horrida - front yard (2).jpg
Agave horrida - front yard (2).jpg (165.76 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Thank you to everyone who posts eye candy in the galleries. I need an emoji of ayooga eyeballs with a tongue hanging out. The plant two photos up looks so great with 'Jaws' nearby. Those two really complement each other. I can just imagine a small dinosaur walking by.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

No dinosaurs yet, Azul, but a couple of weeks ago I found a 4-rattle Southern Pacific rattlesnake lounging in the shade on a gravel pile on the north side of my house. We're having a snaky summer here in the Inland Empire, I guess thanks to last winter's rains. BTW, I really like your avatar. My avatar on another forum was my tuxedo cat Winston sitting next to an Agave toumeyana in my yard. But my photo is slightly larger than the file size limit on this forum.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Thank you, that's Juliette Lewis. She's a natural born killer. Cool snake sighting, though my heart probably would have leaped out of my chest. It's supposed to be a really big year for them.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Big Daddy--

My one experience with a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake was one day at Allen Repashy's. It was absolutely huge; perhaps as large as they ever get, around four-to-five feet with a long skinny neck, a huge triangular head, and dark brownish-black with what appeared to be fluorescent yellow-green outlined diamonds. We both scared the hell out of each other; I came around the corner of a shed, heard a huge plop as he ejected down off a short wall he was sun-bathing on into a mass of dried leaves, then what sounded like firecrackers going off when he lit up his huge tail for all he was worth. I am lucky I wasn't closer; this was clearly a very old and wizened snake; as large as I have ever seen by far in California. He was more the size of a big Western Diamondback, perhaps four inches in diameter at the thickest. His long thin neck made it appear that he could strike out for three or four feet. These snakes are noted for having really toxic venom, much like the Mojave Rattlesnake. Apparently they are increasing in number and are notorious as "people biters" :shock:

When Allen heard about it (he is a herper), he went tearing around in the brush for quite a while looking for it; I think I was on the roof of my car at that point! D))

A truly beautiful snake, but clearly not one to mess with! :eek:

The Monger
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Yikes! A neighbor of mine is a PhD herpetologist who, incidentally, stopped by my yard one day, introduced himself, and then proceeded to correctly name every succulent in my yard. He set my mind at ease about just where these critters tend to hunker down (not on my hot hardscape in the sun, for example), and how to spot them as an inconsistent visual pattern on the background--something that doesn't belong. That's ideally when you're still far enough away from the snake that you haven't triggered its rattle warning, which is a heckuva scary sound.

I don't want to hijack this discussion into a buzz-killing Crotalus thread, but perhaps this is a topic we should all have some passing familiarity with.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, when it comes to rattlesnakes, plant people should certainly be especially aware.

I can't tell you how many times I have had tiny ones coiled up in, or in between, one gallon plants that I was just about to grab. They seem to love everything about nursery scenarios, so be especially careful when rummaging around through a big pile of pots or old lumber. It would be wise to stir up the pile a bit with a long pole before rummaging around in it in order to give a snake a chance to leave, or at least to sound off and let you know he is in there.

Being bit by a rattlesnake is almost always a whole lot worse than most people think; you certainly won't be going back to work in a few hours with a band-aided bite wound. Think extended (and very expensive) hospital stay with the affected extremity turning black and swelling up to the size of a football.

Never ever stir up a rattlesnake; leave them alone if at all possible, especially larger, older ones. Once coiled up and rattling, you are being fairly warned that they are loaded for Bear. If, God forbid, you step on one and get bit, keep calm and get immediately to the hospital; even a few minutes faster can often reduce weeks of agony later.

A head-less rattlesnake can still move around for hours. The head, removed completely from the body, can still bite for a surprising length of time; you have to see it to believe it. Never mess around with a decapitated rattlesnake head.

In the wild, it is best to just flat out leave them alone! ::wink::

The Monger
JonG
Rhizome

Post by JonG »

Agave horrida
Agave horrida
Horrida01-3.jpg (164.8 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Beautiful specimen, Jon.
Ferdinand
Rhizome

Post by Ferdinand »

My little horrida ( no she's gorgeous) I believe about 6 years old, just pops out for the summer here in South London. She happily takes full sun even straight out of the overwintering, no acclimatising neccessary.
Love the rattlesnake stories on this thread!!
Attachments
IMG_20210716_134859334.jpg
IMG_20210716_134859334.jpg (373.28 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
IMG_20210716_134851110.jpg
IMG_20210716_134851110.jpg (297.73 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
IMG_20210716_134947015.jpg
IMG_20210716_134947015.jpg (403.14 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
IMG_20210716_134938278.jpg
IMG_20210716_134938278.jpg (341.46 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Plant from the OP.

Agave

bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Very nice, Gee. You live in a little slice of desert heaven, and I miss the place we used to have there.

Are you going to get some seeds from this specimen? Do you expect them to be viable?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Thanks! No clue regarding seed, really. And not that especially interested, truth be told, since clones of this guy continue to find shelf space at BB's and succulent nurseries in the area. This seems to be a favorite of the tissue culture gang.
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Morelos, Mexico. Photographer Bertus Spee
Attachments
91553646-75D1-4334-BE7D-54FA78299A41.jpeg
91553646-75D1-4334-BE7D-54FA78299A41.jpeg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
BD59BB54-2212-482A-99EB-6173C8E0DF3C.jpeg
BD59BB54-2212-482A-99EB-6173C8E0DF3C.jpeg (145.1 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

A. horrida
A. horrida
h2.jpg (136.99 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
A. horrida
A. horrida
h1.jpg (432.78 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
Agave