Joe Hoak blooming

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
vpapiom
Rhizome

Joe Hoak blooming

Post by vpapiom »

My agave cv Joe Hoak after flowering. She produce a wealth of bulbils. many fine variagations, few are completely green and some others pure albinos. I wonder if the albinos will be able to survive without photosynthesis.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.77 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Re: Joe Hoak blooming

Post by Luc »

No photosynthesis, no life.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Nice! As Luc suggests, there has to be at least a little green somewhere on those leaves for survival, like that awesome one central in the first photo with the green edges. With some coddling, that one could grow, but it would also be a very slow grower.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Wow! Great to see how wonderful Joe Hoak looks in bloom. With that many bulbils available, you are sure to find a few to experiment with. I have noticed a few green ones, which will be interesting to see how they turn out when planted. Jkw
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Wow. Very cool looking! Very curious how some of those will turn out as they mature. Thanks for sharing the photos, have not seen one of these bloom before. :U
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Most all 'Joe Hoak' bulbils are not true to the mother plant, although many of them look fantastic while on the scape. Unfortunately, almost all of these eventually peter out and die, even though they will usually set roots in soil at first. :cry:

The only sure way to replicate this plant is through offsets, which come true to the mother plant. ::wink::

The Monger
Agave Down Under
Offset

Post by Agave Down Under »

Very nice pictures!! Cant wait for mine to flower!!!

I bought a Desmettiana called "Tango" not too long ago, it looks like a pup similar to what you might get from your bulbils, more pic's as they grow would be awesome!!!!
Attachments
Agave Desmettiana "Tango"
Agave Desmettiana "Tango"
20160725_171252.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Matt Evans
Rhizome

Post by Matt Evans »

I recognise that plant ID label 'Agave Down Under' - PF!? ;-)
kitty
Rhizome

Post by kitty »

Hi, I was wondering if your albino pups survived? Any updates? I would guess the ones with green edges should survive but maybe slower growth. Let us know how they're doing! Pictures? Thank you!
plantpainting
Rhizome

Post by plantpainting »

@vpapiom Did any of your bulbils survive? I just saw one with bulbils that looked just like these.

Thanks - Tim